Tuesday, November 3, 2009

FLOATING GOLD - first step in book production


The jacket cover is one of the first things completed in the process of publishing a book. It is required for all pre-publication advertising and promotion.

It's a well used cliche that you can't judge a book by its cover but it's also a fact that a good cover will go a long way to selling a book.

Revealed today is the jacket cover for FLOATING GOLD, Margaret Muir's latest novel due for release in May 2010.

The artwork by Michael Thomas is certainly colourful and will hopefully prove to be an eye-catcher on library shelves.

The Blurb which will appear inside the jacket flap reads as follows:

1802 - The fragile peace with France has brought massive debt and unemployment to England and frustration to its naval officers.

After an enforced absence, Captain Oliver Quintrell is eager to return to the sea, but the commission he is granted leaves him cynical and disappointed. In command of a mere frigate, he heads south unaware of the unimaginable dangers which lie ahead.

The seething Southern Ocean, enemy ships, a discontented crew and the secrets held by a living breathing volcanic island pose more of a threat than a full broadside from a man-of-war.


FLOATING GOLD is a nautical fiction adventure which follows the tradition of the CS Forester and Patrick O’Brian stories.

Margaret Muir (Tasmania)

6 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Splendid cover. It should certainly draw in the readers.

Unknown said...

A couple of years ago, Katy Williams, then Hale's publicity person, kindly put the Black Horse Western writers in touch with Michael Thomas. I was able to publish an interesting article about his work and career in the September 2007 edition of Black Horse Extra (www.blackhorsewesterns.com).

Several of my books have benefited from Michael's covers. Notably, with his strength in portraiture, he has provided what I consider the best interpretations of my series heroine Misfit Lil. His covers for the Linford large-print editions of the Lil stories are very pleasing. The newest, based on a photo of Lillie Langtry, is the subject of a Hoofprints item in the latest edition of the Black Horse Extra. Michael also generously allowed second-rights use of an earlier Lil portrait on the cover of the paperback Misfit Lil Cheats the Hangrope.

M. C. Muir said...

Hi Chap,
Yes I did read the article about Michael which I found very interesting.
I think it is good that a Hale author's books have, where possible, cover designs by the same artist.
It gives them a sort of signature, if you know what I mean.
Marg

Michael Parker said...

When I received the jacket cover for my next book, A COVERT WAR, I didn't like it at all. I wrote to Robert Hale because he sent me the cover and explained why. I then suggested an alternative. Hale was good enough to accept my suggestion and came up with another cover, which I thought was very good of them.

Mick

Beth Elliott said...

The different elements and the colours on this jacket should certainly attract people to pull it off the shelf for a closer look. There's almost a story on the cover.

Jules said...

Very creatiive post